Nepalese Folk Music

Sunday, December 12, 2010

सिद्रा को चट्नी

Its been a while i've been hearing Nepali people using the phrase "राता मकै" quite often. Literally it means Red Corn. Not sure what the metaphor is. Probably first used in the context of excitement or surprise by those who had never seen red corns before. Today, I hear Nepali people using it in almost every context. Could it be dismissive or profane as well? I'm puzzled when to use it. I've asked those who use it and they couldn't explain it better. Some say it could be used either to express moments of joy or grief as it can have both positive and negative connotations, depending upon the situation. It seems anybody could come up with such phrases and..so I've decided to recreate one for myself and I will often start using it from now on which is "सिद्रा को चट्नी". I could probably use it in both contexts like "Yes! finally my सिद्रा को चट्नी has come true" or "don't make me mad or I will squeeze the सिद्रा को चट्नी out of you." Can't wait to see the "huh?" look on their faces. haha..Its okay, you don't have to be सिद्रा को चट्नी 'ing me. Its called the grad school effect. Glad its finally over.

peace.

2 comments:

Tuning said...

Great post!!

Unknown said...

really awsomeeeee siidra koaaachar......... k vanne aba yo sidra ko aachar khada ta malai ta jibro nai faldeu jasto lagyo.....tara maile phalena ba hajurle aarko achar pani banauna sikaunu hune ho?????hehehe anyway it was really awsomeeee taste!!!